In early November the Sport Sciences Educational Centre will be complete. The foundation stone was laid on Wednesday at the University’s József Dóczy Sports Field.
- This sports initiative symbolises the fact that Debrecen University is really taking off in the field of sports science, and also reflects the approach that a sports institute does not only serve the interests of sport understood in a narrow sense, but also of health in general – noted the University’s Rector, Zoltán Szlivássy, at the celebratory laying of the foundation stone on May 20th. He added that the education centre will be the basic foundation of the structure of the sports science course and is the first purpose built institute of this kind at the university.
- We are confident that it will serve to improve the health of the University’s students and employees, and to develop sporting achievement and the University’s ambitions in the fields of sports- and health sciences, said the Rector.
The University’s Chancellor, Zoltán Bács, noted that the University Senate had already decided to build a sports hall in 1937, and the budget was prepared, but nothing came of it. The determination of those connected to the University and of the citizens of Debrecen is a clear sign that after 78 years the sport institute will be built.
- The Centre, which has been the subject of many plans over the last ten years, will be built as part of the ten-year old sports sciences and the general sports program. The current plan – with a budget of two billion forints – was prepared as part of a competitive tender in 2012. The necessary finance became available at the last minute from the resources for the 2007-2013 period. Chancellor Zoltán Bács hoped that the building would be open at the end of October or the beginning of November.
In his speech, the MP, Lajos Kósa emphasised that in the modern world sport is an important branch of the economy, and is an activity with an established background and one that is able to take advantage of the latest scientific developments.
- Sport contributes to the total productivity of the modern economy on the same level as many other sectors. If we consider this point then it is vital that sport should not be involved in a struggle to prove that sports science exists and that a sports health centre is a necessary thing. Debrecen University is now the best place in Hungary to link sports science and health sciences, and to ensure that this co-operation brings us every possible advantage, noted Lajos Kosa.
The city’s mayor, László Papp, spoke of the increasingly important role of sports sciences in the life of Debrecen University, and pointed out that both the institution and the city are acting together in these fields.
- Debrecen University is committed to revitalising Hungarian sport, and to laying its scientific foundations, and this coincides with the city’s strategy and interests. Everyone knows very well what the presence of the university means for Debrecen. It has the widest range of courses of any university in Hungary and can offer support in many fields for the city’s economy, and its general life and development, said László Papp.
The mayor added: in addition to the Sports Sciences Education Centre, another important element in the development of sports is the sports diagnostics and health centre, which will be completed in a few months on the eastern side of the Great Forest stadium.
- The new investment will be able to support the emerging demands of competitive and mass participation sport on a scientific level with the kind of surveys and diagnostic procedures which will enable us to identify talented individuals on whom Hungarian and Debrecen sport can rely in the future, noted László Papp.
Tamás Köpeczi-Bócz, Deputy State Secretary for the Co-ordination and Strategy of European Union Development pointed out in his introductory address that Debrecen University had reached an important stage; co-operation between the local economic sphere and the city.
- This building serves four important functions. Firstly it offers the students and employees of Debrecen University regular opportunities to do sport. Secondly, it represents close co-operation between the city, entrepreneurs, the chambers of commerce and the university, in which there is one mission for the institution: caring for the health of the local people. For this reason, the goal is that Debrecen should be the centre of health industry. Debrecen University will play an increasingly important role in the re-definition of the health industry in Hungary. Thirdly, this is one of the most disadvantaged regions in the country and the co-operation between the university and the city can be a shining light in this respect, and will have an influence on the whole region. The most important aim, however, is that it provides a scientific background. We really must raise the profile of sport and link it to the cultural and health industries; this also marks out the next phase of development – explained Tamás Köpeczi-Bócz, Deputy State Secretary.